Millennium Post

Fresh notice to Delhi Metro for CCTV footage

Fresh notice to Delhi Metro for CCTV footage
A court here on Thursday issued fresh notice to Delhi Police Crime Branch and Delhi Metro on the pleas of two accused in a constable’s death for preserving the 23 December CCTV camera footage of two stations.

The court on Wednesday sought response from Delhi Police and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on the pleas of brothers Kailash Joshi and Amit Joshi arrested after a violent protest at India Gate against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman.

Metropolitan Magistrate Ambika Singh on Thursday issued fresh notices for 28 December after the investigating officer (IO) told the court that the case was transferred to crime branch so no notice was served to DMRC. ‘Issue fresh notice to IO Crime Branch and DMRC to file the report,’ the court said.

Counsel Somnath Bharti, appearing for the accused, told the court that ‘there should be some reprimand to the IO for laxity in serving notice to DMRC’.

The two moved the court saying they were in a Metro train on 23 December when the incident took place, and the CCTV footage of Rithala and Rajiv Chowk stations should be preserved to allow them to provide evidence.

Delhi Metro and police on 26 December were told to respond by Thursday.

‘I have one request: two of the accused were travelling in the metro when the incident happened. Its footage has to be preserved as it is important evidence,’ Bharti told the court.

Besides the brothers, Nafees, Shankar Bisht, Nand Kumar, Shantanu Kumar, Abhishek and Chaman Kumar have been named as accused for allegedly taking part in the protest on 23 December in which constable Subhash Chand Tomar, 47, got injured, and died on 25 December. The court had granted bail to all the accused on 24 December.

After Tomar’s death, they were booked for murder and the probe was handed over to the Crime Branch.

The first information report (FIR) said the eight accused indulged in the violent protest in which over 20 buses and other government vehicles were damaged.

According to the FIR, Tomar was badly injured in the protest. However, officials at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, where Tomar died, said he had ‘no major external injury marks except for some cuts on his right knee and bruises on his chest’.

The protest took place around India Gate for demanding justice for a woman who was brutally raped by six men in a moving bus in Delhi on 16  December.
Next Story
Share it