French authorities on high alert ahead of Euro 2016
With Europe on high alert, French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Tuesday that the deadly explosions in Brussels are a reminder that a “very high security level” will be required during this year’s European Championship in France.
Speaking hours after three explosions killed dozens in the Belgian capital, Cazeneuve said that everything will be put in place to guarantee “collective security” at the June 10-July 10 tournament, with the mobilisation of specially trained emergency staff, police forces and firefighters.
In the wake of the Paris attacks that left 130 people dead in November, France remains in a state of emergency which was recently extended to May 26, two weeks before the opening game.
Tournament organizers had strengthened security measures and made changes to the particularly vulnerable fan zones well before the events in Brussels. Fan zones are typically set up in squares or parks near the center of the city, allowing supporters to watch a game on a big screen. Security can be lighter than at stadiums.
About seven million supporters visited the fan zones in the host cities during Euro 2012 in Ukraine and Poland, and there are concerns the designated Euro 2016 areas for the public could be targets for attackers. Each fan zone can hold 10,000 to 100,000 people and French authorities want to maintain a festive atmosphere within those areas while protecting crowds.
Cazeneuve said Euro 2016 should bring “sportsmanship, festivities and security for teams, accompanying staff and spectators.” After French authorities last week simulated a chemical attack at an open-air screening of a match more devastating than those on the Stade de France on Nov. 13, Cazeneuve said more training has been planned ahead of the continental tournament. According to senior officials handling Euro security, explosives sweeps of all fan zones will be done when they open each day, with systematic pat downs and the possibility of metal detectors being installed at entrances.
Fans carrying large bags won’t be allowed inside and the areas will be placed under video surveillance. Cazeneuve said the state will contribute up to 2 million euros ( 1.1 million) for video surveillance in the fan zones. Organisers announced last month that about 10,000 people had been privately hired for security, among them 900 agents mobilized for each of the 51 matches.
Tournament organisers are in charge of security within stadiums, with French authorities dealing with it outside, meaning the privately-hired security officers handling entrances and interior of fan zones will not be armed.