Top
Millennium Post

Four accused sent to 2-day police custody

Four men, arrested for allegedly raping a US tourist in a 5-star hotel earlier this year, were on Thursday sent to two-day police custody after the probe agency said they were needed for custodial interrogation.

Metropolitan Magistrate Sumit Anand sent the accused to Delhi Police custody after they were produced on expiry of two days of judicial remand.

The police told the court that one more person was still absconding and interrogation of these four accused was required in this regard.

Advocate Sandeep Kapur, appearing for the accused, opposed the police plea. 

The police had on December 26 arrested a tour guide, a driver, a cleaner and a hotel staff in connection with the alleged gang-rape of the woman in April this year.

The US national arrived here a few days ago to join the probe and recorded her statement in front of a judicial magistrate where she reiterated that she was gangraped by five persons in a five-star city hotel. Four accused were arrested after the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) issued a notice to the police asking them why the Rape Crisis Cell of the panel was not informed when the victim’s statement was recorded.

Earlier, the complainant had said she was “not satisfied” with the probe and was ready to come to India to identify the accused.

The woman had alleged that she was raped by the men for two days and also threatened with dire consequences if she reported the matter to anybody.

She had also stated that the accused had made a video of the act and threatened to make it public if she reported the matter to anyone. She had also told the police that the accused had claimed to have sexually assaulted a couple of other female tourists as well.

A team of psychologists and psychiatrists have been assisting the lady in recalling the details of the incident.

The team is also working with the police in their investigation to tie up loose ends. 
Next Story
Share it