Flyover tragedy: IVRCL engineer given police custody

Flyover tragedy: IVRCL engineer given police custody
Tanmoy Shil, the engineer of IVRCL, has been remanded in the custody of the police till April 11 after being produced before the Bankshall Court on Sunday.

Shil was arrested on Saturday in connection with the Vivekananda Flyover tragedy in which 26 people were killed and several were left injured.

Total four senior officials of the company have been arrested so far. Mallika Arjun, Senior Assistant General Manager, Pradip Kumar Saha, Manager (Structural) and Debojyoti Majumder, Assistant manager (Administration) were arrested on Friday night. The trio was also remanded in the custody of the police when produced before the Court on Saturday.  

Sources said the interrogation of the three senior officials of the company continued till late night on Sunday while Shil was questioned since evening.

The police asked them the details of the other officials who were in-charge of the construction and overseeing the work of the Vivekananda Flyover. It is learnt that the police have come to know about the sub-contractors to whom IVRCL had engaged for various purposes.

The police asked them to narrate the entire work that was undertaken in the past one week and mainly the work that had been carried out from 24 hours ahead of the incident. Names of some contractor from other states have cropped up during the interrogation and the investigating officers have given proposal of taking them to the offices of those companies situated outside the state.

The police questioned Shil on Sunday evening and verified the statements given by his three colleagues during the interrogation.

Shil’s counsel, however, alleged that his client was not at all involved in the incident and he has been framed.

Meanwhile, the state government is taking assistance of an engineering consultancy firm to remove the collapsed portion of the flyover which is still hanging on Vivekananda Road restricting the traffic movement from Posta side to Chittaranjan Avenue. Rabindra Sarani was opened for movement of lighter vehicles on Saturday.

Sources said that the engineers of the consultancy firm have taken photographs of the collapsed part which is hanging and sent it to their seniors in Chennai. The engineers are waiting for the reply and suggestions on the technique which is needed to remove the collapsed part without causing further damage to both the flyover as well as to the adjacent houses. 

Many sand bags and iron bars have been brought to the site and the hanging part of the flyover has been supported using the same. Policemen were still found manning the area and KK Tagore Road was still cordoned off. 
M Post Bureau

M Post Bureau

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it