Top
Millennium Post

Fire still rages, 30 shops gutted

Fire still rages, 30 shops gutted
A major fire which broke out in the electricals and electronics goods market due to short circuit in the capital on Thursday in Central Delhi’s Bhagirath Palace market at Chandni Chowk on Thursday evening at around 5.10 pm , continued to rage through for the second day consecutively, with more than 30 shops gutted which raised the danger of the old building collapsing.

The fire started spreading on Thursday, from the second floor, to the fifth floor of the multi-storey building where more than 2,000 shops and warehouses of electrical and electronics goods are located.

‘The fire was brought under control on Thursday night but suddenly again it sparked of around 5 am today,’ said a shopkeeper. It was ignited by sparks in a cable material warehouse at shop number 1810 on the second floor.

Delhi Fire Service director A.K. Sharma said, ‘10 fire engines rushed to the spot, and firemen were using over 100 metre-long water pipes to douse the flames, as the spot was in congested area.’

Sharma also added that the fire could only be doused by late Friday or Saturday morning.

‘The major problem which our officials are facing is congestion and narrow lanes. We are equipped with all the techniques but our engines won’t be able to enter inside,’ he said.Though the rescue workers evacuated the people and barricaded the area to ensure smooth fire-fighting operations, the congested lanes in the locality hindered fire fighters.

‘The building’s basement which is of wooden beams have become weak which leads to the possibility of collapse. Partial collapses have already taken place inside the building. We are taking all measures to avoid a complete collapse as well,’ he added.

‘No one has been injured in the incident but items worth crores of rupees were gutted. The dousing of fire is more important to us,’ said market association president B K Jindal.

‘It is high time the Councillors should take a note on this issue of electrical wires hanging loose, as it involves life risk of many. The officers should take a look of how the electric wires have been put up recklessly,’ said a resident of Chandni Chowk.
Next Story
Share it