Home > Kolkata > Fire breaks out in Howrah’s Ramrajatala market

Fire breaks out in Howrah’s Ramrajatala market

 MPost |  2016-12-03 00:19:10.0  |  Kolkata

Fire breaks out in Howrah’s Ramrajatala market

Fire broke out at Howrah’s Ramrajatala market on Friday afternoon. The market was closed and most of the workers associated with the stationery shops were sleeping when the flames was first noticed. People inside the market rushed outside and started screaming. The local residents started throwing buckets full of water at those places were the blaze was seen from the outside. The fire brigade was called up.

Six fire tenders were called up at the spot. The fire fighters couldn’t douse the flame until the local residents helped them there. “Initially two fire tenders were sent. Later, four fire tenders reached the spot. This is an age-old market. There could be many reasons for this incident. The fire officials will inquire about the reason of fire,” said a police officer. However, No casualty has been reported so far in the incident, while more than 20 shops in the market have already been gutted.

Local MLA Jatu Lahiri reached the spot. He helped the locals expedite the rescue work. “It was a big challenge to move all the workers outside the market. The workers were really scared. It was not easy work for the fire brigade officers to know the narrow lanes of this market area. The local residents helped them a lot,” said Lahiri.

“I saw black smoke coming out from the market. I thought somebody might be cooking their food. But when I approached towards the smoke, I saw the flames there. I started to shout. Some people who were sleeping inside the market, were also screaming,” said a worker.

It should be recalled that a devastating fire at Kadamtala market in Howrah in October, gutted nearly 60 shops and led to losses worth crores. A man received injuries when he tried to enter his shop and retrieve the cash box. As many as 14 fire tenders worked for several hours to bring the fire under control. Two fire fighters also suffered burn injuries to their hands.

Share it
Top