Home > Kolkata > Fire breaks out in Howrah Municipal Corporation’s Town Hall building

Fire breaks out in Howrah Municipal Corporation’s Town Hall building

 MPost |  2016-12-10 00:29:12.0  |  Kolkata

Fire breaks out in Howrah Municipal Corporation’s Town Hall building

Fire broke out at the Town Hall building of Howrah Municipal Corporation (HMC) on Friday afternoon, after which some old records were reportedly reduced to ashes. Two fire tenders were called up at the spot. Firefighters and disaster management team of HMC doused the flame within half an hour. The fire brigade is yet to ascertain the source of the fire.

However, the HMC authority said, no major loss was recorded as only few numbers of legal documents were destroyed. The fire was seen at first floor-record room just adjacent to the room of municipal court.

The fire was seen when the court was functioning there with full house of lawyers, judges and clerks and litigants.

The smoke was coming out from the record room. The people rushed outside and some of them fell ill due to the smoke. Employees of the corporation tried to snuff it out using HMC’s own fire fighting materials.

They tried hard to fight the flame till fire brigade reached there, but it was not possible for them to control the situation. “The fire brigade reached within 10 minutes. The disaster management team of HMC also fought really hard,” said HMC Mayor Rathin Chakravarty.

However, the Municipal court is not getting two documents, which they suspect they lost in the fire incident. But the employees of the court are now on a search to get those documents.

Meanwhile, in another fire incident, a thermocol factory was almost gutted in Siliguri on Friday afternoon. The fire brigade said that huge amount of inflammable goods were stocked in the factory, which caused the fire there. The local residents initially tried to douse the flame with fire extinguishers. Four fire tenders later control the flame there.

“We’ll make a report on this incident. The factory illegally stocked inflammable materials and did not take any precautionary measures. I think it was an electrical fire. Short circuit may be the reason for the fire,” said a fire brigade officer.

However, the factory, at Fulbari of Siliguri is situated in a congested area. The locals came out of their houses and shops after the incident. They helped the fire fighters douse the flames.

Share it
Top