Top
Millennium Post

Fire breaks out in Chandni Chowk, none hurt

Fire breaks out in Chandni Chowk, none hurt
X
A major fire broke out in a godown of the electronics market in Central Delhi’s Bhagirath Palace, Chandni Chowk,  around 5 pm on Thursday.

The blaze erupted at the Bhagirath Palace market, which sells electrical and electronics items. Over 22 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire.

Workers of the Delhi Fire Service evacuated and barricaded the area to ensure smooth operation. Fire fighters also expressed apprehension that the building might collapse, as it was in a deteriorated condition.

There was no immediate report of any casualty or injury. Delhi Fire Services director A K Sharma said, ‘We have no information about anyone being trapped inside the building.’ He refused to speculate on the cause of the fire. One of the rescue workers, however, said, ‘Short circuit might have caused the fire.’ ‘With so many narrow lanes and congestion, it becomes very difficult for the fire engines to reach the spot,’ said Sharma.

‘The fire broke out in a 220 square yard godown of electrical items. There were a lot of inflammable items of plastic,’ said a fire fighter.

According to the police officials, fire was brought under control within 30 minutes, but the power supply to the area has been snapped as a precaution. ‘It is high time the councillors take a note of this issue of electrical wires hanging loose, as it involves risk  to lives,’ said Yogesh Sharma, a resident of Chandni Chowk.
Next Story
Share it