Home > Kolkata > Fire breaks out in Bankura Sammilani Medical College

Fire breaks out in Bankura Sammilani Medical College

 MPost |  2016-11-07 00:49:10.0  |  Kolkata

A fire broke out at Bankura Sammilani Medical College and Hospital on Sunday triggering panic among the patients and their relatives.

Police said that some people spotted smoke billowing out of the computer server room of the hospital on Sunday noon. Many of the patients and their relatives got panicked after they found fire coming of the server room and ran for a safer place.

The hospital staff members also acted promptly and evacuated the entire building to avoid any casualty.

According to a senior official of the hospital, all the patients were brought downstairs immediately after the room had caught fire. The staff members of the hospital tried to douse the flame before the arrival of the fire tenders in the hospital.

However, they failed to control the blaze. They had also visited the rooms to check if anybody was trapped inside any room. They faced some problems to enter the rooms situated close to the server room as the area was filled up with thick smoke.

The hospital authorities informed the fire brigade about the incident. Three or four fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flame. The fire fighters brought the situation under control after putting in an effort for nearly two hours.

Hospital authorities said that as the fire tenders reached the spot immediately after the incident, they easily brought the situation under control. The fire did not spread to other rooms due to the timely intervention of the fire tenders. 

The fire department is yet to ascertain the exact cause of the fire. According to the preliminary investigation, the fire officials suspect that an electrical short circuit might have led to the fire which caused huge damage of the server room. The fire department is yet to ascertain the extent of the damage and the actual cause of the fire. A probe has been initiated.

Share it
Top