A fire broke out at an under construction hostel building of SSKM Hospital on Tuesday evening.
The staff members of the hospital spotted the smoke billowing out of the under-construction building at around 11 pm and informed the fire brigade department.
The information soon spread at the Nephrology department which is situated close to the new hostel building. The patients started running from one place to another in panic. Five fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flame. The fire fighters brought the situation under control after putting an effort for nearly two hours.
According to the preliminary investigation, fire department suspects that the incident took place due to a short circuit in the meter box of the under construction hostel building. Later the fire spread to other parts of the hostel.
In a separate incident a fire broke out at a leather factory situated on the ground floor of a four storey building at 43, Topsia Road on Tuesday night.