Fire breaks out at two separate places in city
The city witnessed two separate incidents of fire at Waterloo Street and Jorabagan area on Wednesday. The local residents first spotted the smoke coming out from a restaurant, which is on the ground floor of a building at Waterloo Street. After police came to know about the matter, six fire tenders were pressed into service and they took nearly an hour to bring the situation under control.
Preliminary investigation revealed that the mezzanine floor that housed the kitchen of of Bay Leaf restaurant might have caught fire and later it spread to the other portion of the restaurant. Restaurant officials, however, said that the fire did not take place inside the restaurant. The fire fighters initially faced problems to reach to the source of the fire as a thick smoke covered the entire area. But later they put up a fight and brought the situation under control.
Police said that the restaurant was completely damaged in fire that took place at around 10 am on Wednesday. However, the firefighters were not ruling out the possibility of short circuit. They were also investigating whether the gas cylinder had caught fire.
In another incident, a fire broke out at an almirah shop in Jorabagan area. Three fire tenders were swung into action and they took half-an-hour to douse the flame.
The cause of the fire and the extent of the damages were yet to be ascertained in both the cases.