Fire breaks out at sadar bazaar
A massive fire was reported from the city’s busy Sadar Bazaar market early on Wednesday morning. Two adjoining buildings caught fire spreading it to the nearby shops as well. However, no casualties were reported.
At around 7 am early Wednesday morning, a massive fire broke out at a woolen godown and thread making godown at the Sadar Bazaar market of Delhi. Soon panic spread as the fire started engulfing the adjoining shops as well.
According to sources, the first building to catch fire was a five-storeyed building which has a woolen godown on 4th floor. Soon, the fire spread to the adjoining building as well which has a thread godown. The intensity of the fire alarmed the locals as they tried to douse the flames before calling the fire brigade.
“As many as 30 fire tenders were sent to the spot. We had a tough time dousing the fire and the whole operation took several hours to bring the fire under control. Finally at around 2 pm, the fire was brought under control,” said a fire officer.
Though no casualties were reported, several shops in the busy market were reportedly damaged and goods destroyed. Initially, it is believed that a short circuit could have been the cause of the fire but investigation is on.
“Though the fire has been controlled, we are still in the process of cooling down so that fire doesn’t erupt again,” said a fire officer.
Since the fire spread at the top floors, the firemen had a tough time to tame the flames. It is believed that property worth lakhs has been destroyed. The department is trying to ascertain the exact reason of the fire.