Home > Kolkata > Faulty mechanism of mobile tower may have caused fire

Faulty mechanism of mobile tower may have caused fire

 MPost |  2016-11-23 23:25:51.0  |  Kolkata

Faulty mechanism of mobile tower may have caused fire

A day after the library housed on the sixth floor of the Ronald Ross building of the SSKM Hospital caught fire, the fire department suspect that the a faulty mechanism of setting up a mobile tower on the terrace of the Ronald Ross Building led to the fire.

State Fire minister Sovan Chatterjee has alleged that the mobile tower was set up on the roof the hospital without following proper norms. He also urged the PWD minister to look into the matter. Six mobile towers were being set up at various places inside the hospital campus in last 12 years among which five are owned by private companies. 

As per the preliminary investigation, the fire department officials suspect that fire could have been caused from the mobile tower situated on the roof of the Ronald Ross building. There were two server rooms one of which might have caused the fire. These rooms have been damaged by the fire. The hospital authorities had lodged a complaint in the local police station.

Fire minister Sovan Chatterjee on Tuesday visited the SSKM Hospital to talk to the senior officials in this regard. A meeting was held in which the PWD minister was also present. It was learnt that some staff members on Monday morning heard the sound of mild blast from near one of the towers. The question now arises if there was any explosion in any of the towers. It is, however, a matter of investigation. A section of PWD officials suspect that a short circuit in a tower might have caused the fire.

It may be mentioned that many mobile towers have been constructed at various state-run hospitals in the past one decade without thinking that they might cause harm to the patients coming to the hospitals for treatment.

The fire broke out on the sixth floor of the Ronald Ross Building Monday morning triggering panic among the patients. No one was, however, injured in the incident. The Chief Minister who rushed to the spot after the incident had asked the state fire minister Sovan Chatterjee who also visited the hospital following the incident to permanently place two fire tenders inside the hospital campus. 

Following the Chief Minister’s instruction the fire brigade and PWD departments have taken various steps to prevent any such incidents in the future.

Share it
Top