Millennium Post

Failed attempts to withdraw money for three days claims life

The “hasty and arbitrary” decision of the Centre of demonetising Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes claimed a life in the state as a school teacher died after falling ill as he had to stand in queues outside a bank to exchange notes for three consecutive days.

Family members of the victim, Dharanikanta Bhowmick alleged that he was tensed after failing to withdraw money even after taking attempts for three days. It led to his ill health and he was taken to a nursing home in Dinhata. He later died in the hospital.

The victim was the headmaster of Satkura Government Primary School. It was not possible for him to go and stand in queue early in the morning as he had to go to his school. 

As a result, he had to go to the bank at around 10 pm when at least hundred people were already standing in the queue. He used to feel unwell while standing in the queue and others had extended their help by allowing him to sit in one particular place outside the bank, said his family members.

He didn’t disclose to anyone of his family members that he used to feel unwell while standing in the queue outside the bank, knowing that he would not be allowed to go the next day. At the same time, he had to withdraw money to run his family.

Expressing their anger over the “hasty” decision, local people demanded proper arrangements in each and every Branch of the banks for elderly and physically challenged people so they do not need to stand in a queue for long hours. 

But in most of the banks there was no such arrangements and elderly people were found standing in queues outside most of the Branches of a bank. The situation was such that elderly people had to go to banks and stand in queues for hours despite their ill health to deal with their pension related matters. 

It may be mentioned that a visually challenged person had attempted suicide at Sunderbans in South 24 Parganas a few days ago after failing to exchange notes from a bank in the area.

Trinamool Congress workers were found extending help by providing water to people who were standing for hours in queues outside banks.
Next Story
Share it