Ex-FIFA secy Jerome Valcke banned for 12 years
Former FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was banned from all soccer-related activity for 12 years on Friday by the governing body's ethics committee.
The ethics chamber said Valcke was found guilty of wide-ranging misconduct, including offenses related to the use of private jets for personal use, destroyed evidence and the sale of 2018 and 2022 World Cup television rights.
"Mr. Valcke acted against FIFA's best interests and caused considerable financial damage to FIFA, while his private and personal interests detracted him from his ability to properly perform his duties," the ethics committee said in a statement. Valcke's ban is four years longer than the eight-year sanctions handed down to FIFA President Sepp Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini in December for a financial conflict of interest.
The 55-year-old had been suspended last September based on an internal report about his conduct, including use of expenses and private jets. FIFA commissioned that report before a 2014 World Cup ticket agent alleged that Valcke sought to profit from a black market deal.