Top
Millennium Post

EU holds talks on terror threat after deadly Paris attacks

EU holds talks on terror threat after deadly Paris attacks
EU foreign ministers on Monday met on building an alliance -- including with Muslim countries -- against a growing Islamist militant threat, with Europe on high alert after deadly Paris attacks and anti-terrorism raids in Belgium.

The immediate focus for the 28-nation European Union is how to prevent citizens known as “foreign fighters” returning home from the battlefields of Syria and Iraq even more radicalised and well trained.

“We will start with a discussion on how to counter terrorism not only in Europe but in other parts of the world,” EU foreign affairs head Federica Mogherini said as she arrived for the meeting.

“We need to share information more, we need to cooperate more,” Mogherini said, welcoming the presence of Arab League secretary general Nabil al-Arabi at the talks.

“We will discuss with the secretary general how to increase the level of cooperation with our partners,” she said, adding: “We need an alliance, a dialogue.”

German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said the Paris attacks, which left 17 people dead, “changed Europe and the world.”  “Muslim countries of the world are the ones who have suffered the greatest burden of terrorism and they will continue to be in the frontlines,” Hammond said. “We have to work closely with them to protect both those countries and the EU countries.”  Monday’s meeting will help prepare for a special leaders’ summit on February 12 dedicated to fighting terrorism.

Belgian authorities meanwhile were still hunting for Abdelhamid Abaaoud, considered the brains behind the cell plotting to kill Belgian police that was broken up last week.

Belgian federal prosecutors said they would seek the extradition of a suspect arrested in Athens on Saturday “who could be linked” to the cell. 

EU for Hamas removal from terror list
The EU will appeal a December court decision ordering the removal of the Palestinian Islamist group Hamas from the bloc’s terrorism blacklist, foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said on Monday. She said foreign ministers from the 28 EU member states decided to appeal the decision at a meeting in Brussels today which is more widely focused on the Islamist threat after last week’s Paris attacks. “This ruling was clearly based on procedural grounds and did not imply any assessment by the court of the merits of designating the Hamas as a terrorist organisation,” Mogherini said.

The ministers have “now decided to challenge some of the findings of the court regarding the procedural grounds to list terrorist organizations,” she said. The General Court of EU, had said that the blacklisting of in 2001 was based not on legal judgements but on conclusions derived from media, the Internet.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Next Story
Share it