'Broken' Ariana Grande suspends tour after UK concert terror
In the wake of the attack, the singer has indefinitely suspended her world tour. Celebrities across the globe flooded social media with heart felt condolences.
US pop star Ariana Grande said on Tuesday that she was "broken" and at a loss for words over the deadly terror attack at her concert in the British city of Manchester. "Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. i don't have words," she tweeted hours after a powerful blast ripped through a crowded arena hosting her concert, killing 22 people and injuring over 59 others.
According to TMZ, the singer has indefinitely suspended her world tour in the wake of the attack. The website cited sources close to Grande, saying she has decided not to perform on Thursday in London and has also put her entire European tour on hold. She was scheduled to perform in England, Belgium, Poland, Germany and Switzerland. Eyewitnesses said the explosion was heard outside the auditorium after the artiste had finished her show and left the stage. Grande's manager Scooter Braun mourned the attack in a statement that he posted on Twitter.
"Tonight, our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorrow for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack. We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. "We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders, who rushed towards danger to help save lives. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families and all those affected in your hearts and prayers," the statement read. Grande, a 23-year-old American TV teen actor-turned-pop star, is a big draw for young fans, with hits including 'Problem', featuring Iggy Azalea and 'Side To Side', featuring Nicki Minaj.
As part of her European tour, Grande has already performed in Birmingham and Dublin and was due to be at the O2 Arena in London on Wednesday and Thursday. Her current 'The Dangerous Woman Tour' is in support of her third studio album, 'Dangerous Woman', which released last year on May 20. The tour began on February 3, in Phoenix, Arizona. The album is the follow-up to her 2014 studio album 'My Everything' and features guest appearances from Minaj, Lil Wayne, Macy Gray and Future. The lead single 'Dangerous Woman' was released on March 11, 2016. Grande's show was sold-out in the 21,000-capacity Manchester Arena.
In the wake of the blast, celebrities across the globe flooded social media with condolences and heartfelt messages following the devastating news of 22 dead and at least 59 injured at Manchester Arena in the UK where Ariana Grande performed a concert on Monday evening. Singer Katy Perry tweeted, "Praying for everyone at Ariana Grande's show." Cher reflected on her personal attachment with the city, writing "My prayers go out to the people of Manchester... Had special times there from youth and beyond." Singer and actor Demi Lovato wrote, "Tearing up imagining innocent concertgoers losing their lives. Praying for everyone and all #Arianators." Ellie Goulding said, "Sending love to those affected in Manchester."
Singer Halsey wrote, "What is happening in Manchester is absolutely terrifying. Praying everyone affected has found safety and hope Ariana is okay :( Jesus." "Our prayers and strength to the victims and their families involved in this tragedy in Manchester. Stay strong," actor Dwayne Johnson tweeted. Ryan Seacrest said he is shocked. "Stunned by the news coming in from the U.K. My thoughts are with the fans and families at Ariana's Manchester show. Awful."
Former One Direction singer Niall Horan wrote, "Absolutely horrendous what happened in Manchester tonight. My thoughts are with the great people of Manchester and also Ari and her team." Bruno Mars said, "No words can describe how I feel about what happened in Manchester. I don't wanna believe that the world we live in could be so cruel." Selena Gomez wrote, "My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected in Manchester."
Chris Pratt wrote,"For grace. For vigilance. For justice. #manchesterattack" Bieber tweeted, "#PrayforManchester". Oscar-winning singer Sam Smith said, "Hold each other close today and everyday. Love is the only way to answer to something this hateful." Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, actor Priyanka Chopra, Shabana Azmi and filmmaker Karan Johar also condemned the terror attack. Shah Rukh tweeted, "Extremely sad to start days when innocent lives are lost. Prayers for the deceased & strength to the families of the Manchester victims. (sic)" Priyanka said, "My thoughts and prayers are with @ArianaGrande and everyone who was hurt at the concert in Manchester...What is happening to the world..." Anushka Sharma said, "Deeply saddened to hear about the Manchester attack. This brutality and hatred is so so horrid."