Top
Millennium Post

Ensure no open or hanging wires in parks, North MCD tells officials

Ensure no open or hanging wires in parks, North MCD tells officials
North MCD commissioner PK Gupta has directed the horticulture director to personally visit the parks and ensure strict implementation of the order.

According to officials at the North MCD, the order has been issued after a few deaths due to electrocution in different parts of the city. There are around 4,500 parks under the corporation’s jurisdiction. A senior official said the order has passed as a safety measure keeping in view the monsoon.

The civic body has observed that are many open electric wires in various parks in North Delhi. The civic body made this observation after it carried out inspections in various parks under its jurisdiction. The civic body had received several complaints about open electric wires from Resident Welfare Associations (RWAs). The RWAs had alleged that due to open electric wires children and elders were unable to visit parks.

“Director (horticulture) and officers of the horticulture department should personally visit all municipal parks and ensure their proper upkeep. They must see to it that there are no swing, grill or gate in parks are in a dangerous condition. Further, there should be no hanging or naked electric  wires in any park, which might cause electrocution due to rain,” states the order issued by the Commissioner.

The order further reads that additional commissioners should also carry out regular field inspections in their respective areas and if any discrepancy is noticed, they must take action against the officials concerned.

In August, two men had died due to electrocution. In  the first case, a 28-year-old man died of electrocution, after he accidentally came in contact with a streetlight near his house in East Delhi. In another incident, a 27-year-old man was electrocuted, after he accidentally touched a live wire at a plastic factory in Outer Delhi’s Narela area. Earlier this year, three men were electrocuted during a party at a restaurant in west Delhi’s Sagarpur.

Next Story
Share it