Millennium Post

Driver sells liquor in army car

Exposing vulnerability of country’s national security, an army official was arrested by the Delhi police for allegedly selling liquor using a Ministry of Defence black colour ambassador car,  which is used to ferry top army brass.

The accused has been handed over to the military police, who have initiated an internal enquiry into the matter and are probing the case from all possible angles.

‘The army officials suspect that the accused might also be involved in leaking secret information and the matter is being looked into very seriously by them,’ a senior Delhi police official said.

Delhi police officials said a few days ago they arrested a person, Anil Sharma, from Mother Teresa Crescent Road, for  selling liquor in an Accent car. Defence canteen-imprinted 108 bottles were recovered from his possession and the police now smell a bigger involvement in this case.

Sharma, during his interrogation, told the cops that he procured these bottles from an civilian army official, Chandi Ram, who was deputed as a driver in transport department at Army headquarters.

‘We laid a trap and asked him to call Chandi Ram to Rajaji Marg with more liquor bottles. We arrested Chandi Ram from there, when he came in a black colour army car ,’ the investigating official said, adding that, ‘the car was confiscated and the accused was caught red-handed.’ Police officials further said  that Chandi Ram was using the car as a reserve vehicle to ferry foreign countries’ army officials and Indian army officials in emergency. The car was allotted to the transport department of the Army headquarters in Delhi.

During investigation, it was also found that another retired civilian army official, Harpal Singh, was also involved in this nexus. He was the one who provided the bottles from CSD canteen to Chandi Ram.

Chandi Ram was handed over to the military police and Delhi police is on a lookout for Harpal Singh, who is a resident of Tilak Nagar area in west Delhi. A case has been registered by the Delhi at Chanakyapuri police station and further investigations are on.
Next Story
Share it