‘disappointed’ with Platini ban: UEFA
The European football federation (UEFA) said it was “disappointed” in FIFA’s decision to ban Michel Platini for eight years over an ethics violation, expressing support for the Frenchman’s right to an appeal.
“Naturally, UEFA is extremely disappointed with this decision, which nevertheless is subject to appeal,” the governing body said of the ruling against Platini, who is UEFA’s president.
“UEFA supports Michel Platini’s right to a due process and the opportunity to clear his name,” the statement added.
FIFA’s ethics court suspended Platini, 60, over a 2 million Swiss franc payment he received from Blatter in 2011, reportedly for consulting work done a decade earlier.
Blatter was also banned for eight years. Both Blatter and Platini denied there was anything suspicious about the payment and that it had previously been agreed in an oral contract.
FIFA judges said they “rejected” evidence concerning such an oral contract as it was unconvincing.
Shortly after the verdict, Blatter said that he will appeal against the ban, first to a FIFA committee and then to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne. Platini has not commented on a possible appeal.
The Frenchman, once the heir apparent to replace Blatter as FIFA’s president, boycotted his hearing with FIFA judges on December 18, claiming their verdict was pre-determined.