Millennium Post

Sub-Inspector dies after brutal assault by criminal

It was alleged that the deceased was making accused’s video which led to the scuffle

New Delhi: A 58-year-old Sub-Inspector (SI) of the Delhi Police died after he was brutally assaulted by a hardened criminal in Kasturba Nagar area of Shahdara district on Sunday.

The investigating agency said they have arrested the criminal in the case. The spot where the incident took place is situated barely 100-200 metres away from the police post. While Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Meghna Yadav claimed that police staff remain there every night.

Police identified the deceased as Raj Kumar, a Sub-Inspector, posted in the communication unit.

The accused named Vijay alias Bhuri has been involved in 21 cases (mostly of robbery and snatching).

DCP Shahdara said that accused, during the questioning, it was alleged that deceased was making his video which led to the quarrel and later turned into a scuffle.

DCP Meghna further added they were alerted around 10.06 pm regarding a quarrel between Raj Kumar and Bhuri.

"The deceased had gone out for a walk after dinner when the incident took place," police said.

"After the scuffle, Raj Kumar reached home and told one of his daughters that Bhuri had attacked him. He proceeded towards a nearby hospital driving his own scooty along with his daughter. On the way, Kumar fainted. However, his daughter managed to take him to the hospital," police said.

The hospital authorities suggested to take him to a private hospital in Patparganj. On reaching the hospital, he was declared brought dead. "Examination of the body of the deceased revealed a superficial cut injury below the chin and a blunt injury mark on the chest," police said.

A case under sections of 302/34 IPC has been registered. The accused Bhuri, who is a history sheeter of Vivek Vihar police station, has been arrested. The postmortem report will reveal the exact cause of the death.

Eyewitness account

Before the incident, Raj Kumar was sitting at the clinic of LK Verma who claimed himself as the doctor. Verma said that he was discussing about the elections with Kumar (deceased) and Pawan (shopkeeper).

"I live in Karawal Nagar area and I told them that I have to leave for home as it was late. So both of them left the clinic. Suddenly a person came and started accusing Raj Kumar for making his video and quarrel started," said Verma adding that in the meantime, he left the place. Pawan's brother said that his brother was injured while he tried to save the policeman.

"Kumar tried to save himself but he was dragged from a stair of a house," said a woman (requesting anonymity).

Delhi CM's tweet

"Extremely shocking murder of Delhi Police sub inspector in Vivek Vihar last night. Who takes responsibility for safety of Delhiites when even police is not safe ? May God give courage to the family of late Rajkumar ji," tweeted Arvind Kejriwal.

First day of job turns into nightmare for daughter

New Delhi: According to family members, it would have been the first day of the job for one of the daughters of Raj Kumar but the tragedy takes away all the happiness of her.

The family said Rajkumar had worked for the development of the area. "Few parks were developed with the help of my father," said Vaishali, Kumar's daughter.

At the house, deceased's wife, Shashibala was crying by holding his husband's photograph.

"One month ago, we were alerted by a person regarding some mishapening with my father. I told him about it but my dad said that I have never done wrong with anyone why should I afraid," said Vaishali, deceased daughter.

The deceased's family said that the liquor being sold openly in their area. "Many times, liquor customers came to our house. We shout at those and shunted them out," said family member adding that persons involved in illegal activities had a grudge over the family.

The daughter further stated that at the time of incident, no one helps her father as they were beaten up by several persons.

The family also alleged that local police also supported illegal activities in the area.

DCP (Shahdara) said that they have continuously made several efforts to curb sale of illegal liquor in the area. "We are also verifying whether more persons involved in the incident," said DCP.

Police said that the accused was recently released from the jail as he was arrested by Shahdara district police.

At the time of the incident, deceased's wife had went to Chhatarpur but later she was alerted by her daughter about the incident. Police said that they have also probe whether there was any earlier fight between the accused and the deceased. "So far, no complaints have been received," police said.

CCTV footage has also been recovered. "The footage is not clear. A person was seen pushing another man," said an official adding that the deceased's phone is also being scanned in the case.

Next Story
Share it