Police probe British national, security heightened at NAB
New Delhi: Activities of the British national who sexually harassed three minor children in National Association For The Blind (NAB) in RK Puram area before coming to India will be probed by police. Sources claimed that the accused before coming to India has resided in three countries and investigators now probing that whether the accused had assaulted any child over there.
Accused Murray Denis Ward, a permanent resident of Gloucestershire, UK, 54, was working until April 2017 with Sterlite Technology Limited in Gurgaon. In February 2017, he had suffered a paralytic attack and since then, has been under treatment. For better counseling, police was taking help of child specialist from AIIMS.The accused, as per preliminary investigation, is found to be a pedophile. His cell phone is being examined.
Police sources claimed that during questioning, the accused did not cooperate with the investigators and later they came to know that the accused before coming to India have lived in Myanmar, Malaysia and Thailand. Cops are probing that whether the accused have been involved in any sexual harassment case in these countries.
"We are probing his activities from October 2016 when he came to India till now he had the visa until 6 October," said a police source.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Ishwar Singh stated that the case has been probed from all possible angles. He remained tight lipped on the investigation part of the case.
Police sources told this newspaper that they have told the institute that a dedicated place should be there at the organization where a volunteer can meet children under CCTV cameras.
"We told the organisation that a meeting place is important. Volunteers should not be allowed in the room of the children as the accused arrested in the case took the benefit of not having any place and entered the area inside the institute and harassed children," police said.
Prashant Ranjan Verma, General Secretary of NAB said that they are extremely shocked and disgusted at this betrayal of trust by the volunteer and want him to be punished in accordance with the law.
"We are cooperating fully with the police who have so far been very professional and swift in their actions," said Verma. According to police, the incident came to light on Sunday at noon hours after they received a PCR call regarding 'sexual harassment of minor kids.
"Enquiry revealed that the accused who is a frequent visitor, associated as a regular donor with NAB for the last 8-9 yrs had subjected three minors, all blind residents of NAB, to paedophilic sexual harassment on Saturday 2," said Biswal. A case has been registered in this regard under POCSO Act.
Meanwhile, the National Association for the Blind (NAB) has heightened its security and also held meetings with staffs and the parents regarding the incident. After the news came in limelight, parents panicked after which a meeting was held.
"Dignity of the children are most important to us and we carried our Teachers' Day activity no schedule was affected by the incident," said an official from NAB. Another meeting was also held where it was discussed that the incident will not be disclosed to the children.
"It is unfortunate that the wrong doing of one person will now subject many well meaning volunteers, parents and visitors to additional restrictions but we hope to get their cooperation as always," said Prashant Ranjan Verma, General Secreatary of NAB.
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 1 May 2017 6:52 PM GMT
- 8 Oct 2019 4:43 PM GMT
- 31 Aug 2019 1:38 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 12:30 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 12:30 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 12:15 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 12:00 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 11:45 AM GMT