Massive fire rips through heavily crowded tent at NSP, Police says no casualty
New Delhi: A massive fire broke out in two tent houses in New Delhi's Netaji Subhash Place on Tuesday. At the time of the incident, a function was going on and the place was heavily crowded. According to Delhi Fire Services, they received a call around 12.20 AM regarding the medium fire.
Around 25 fire tenders reached at the spot to douse the fire. "Fire was under control at 4.40 AM but a fireman got injured during the operation and got admitted to a private hospital," said DFS official.
The official further added that LPG cylinders caught fire which created hindrance in fire fighting operation. Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-West) said that three persons received minor injuries.
" A function was going at the place when the incident took place," added DCP North West. Another police officer said that they cannot tell the exact number of people present at the spot that time but yes the place was heavily crowded and city police conducted the safe rescue operation. "Some said 500 people were there and other 2000. So the exact figure is not clear," added officer.
Chief Fire Officer (DFS) Atul Garg said that they cannot tell the exact reason behind the incident. "First of all wind was blowing yesterday(Tuesday) and also tents were made of combustible materials which easily catch fire," added Garg. At any function in Pandal, According to DFS, there should be proper access, open space around the pandal, distance from medium and high voltage electrical installations, means of exits, materials of construction, first aid fire fighting arrangements, water storage for fighting, electrical wiring, and availability of trained fire fighting staff.