Millennium Post

Man arrested for murder of IIT-IIM alumnus

Man arrested for murder of IIT-IIM alumnus

NEW DELHI: Delhi Police on Saturday said it has arrested a criminal for murdering an educationist Deepak, who ran an coaching academy to grooming IIT and NEET aspirants.

The accused, identified as Bhupender Mehra alias Hardeep, is a resident of Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand.

Cops said that Deepak, who was an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology–Delhi as well as Indian Instituted of Management–Calcutta, was running a coaching academy by the name 'Prakhar' to grooming students for entrance tests to IIT as well as the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) and other eminent colleges institutions.

"It was revealed that the accused was fond of cars and liquor. On September 24, he asked for the keys of a car belonging to deceased Deepak, which Deepak plainly refused. Accused Bhupender took this as his insult and to take revenge for the insult, he slapped Deepak several times," said Gaurav Sharma, Additional Deputy Commisioner of Police (Rohini)

"When Deepak didn't budge to his threats as well as his manhandling, Bhupender brought out a knife and stabbed Deepak and ran away," the DCP added.

During investigation, physical verification was increased exponentially as the accused was not in a habit of carrying any mobile device with him and did not have any mobile number. However, he had a Facebook account.

Using this account, a photograph of the accused along with one other person was found out. It came to the police's notice that the accused told someone years ago that the other person was his relative.

With the help of extensive technical data mining and surveillance, the other person who was seen in the photograph along with the accused was located in the Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand.

From there, cops reached the native village of the accused, where his mother was to be found residing alone.

The police team soon got a secret information that the accused will visit Delhi on Diwali or soon after Diwali.

After getting the tip, a team was put on high alert round the clock. On November 11, he was caught from Japanese park as he came to meet one of his friends.

Team MP

Team MP

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it