Kin of 58-yr-old who died at Max Hospital claim medical negligence
New Delhi: The family of a 58-year-old man – who died in Max Hospital Shalimar Bagh on December 25, after undergoing treatment of a heart ailment – on Wednesday alleged that he died of medical negligence, a charge the hospital authorities denied.
The allegation comes weeks after the Court of the Financial Commissioner stayed a Delhi government order cancelling the hospital's licence for wrongly declaring a newborn dead.
Sanjay Sharma, nephew of the deceased Kamlesh Chander, said, "We will try to reach out to the Union Health Minister and the chief medical officer of Delhi. We want justice."
"My uncle was on his feet when he visited the hospital on December 25. He was sweating, so they took him to the emergency ward and an ECG test was conducted. The test revealed that he had blockage in his arteries," Sharma said.
He added that after they performed an angiography on his uncle, doctors said Chander would need a bypass surgery.
"While we discussed the matter, they came and informed us that stents have been put in his body. They did it without even asking us. Also, my uncle was admitted under the supervision of a doctor who was on leave. This is fraud and negligence," Sharma alleged.
"A few hours later, my uncle died. On Wednesday, a panel of doctors conducted an autopsy. We are now waiting for their report," Sharma added.
Chander's family further claimed that the hospital initially billed them for Rs 3 lakh, but later nullified the bill.
"We have submitted all details and registered a police complaint," Sharma said.
A police official said inquest proceedings under Section 174 of the CrPC was initiated based on the complaint.
Meanwhile, Max Healthcare, in a statement said: "The patient was brought to the emergency (ward) in the afternoon of December 25, with complaints of chest pain and breathlessness. Initial ECG confirmed acute STEMI."
ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) is a type of heart attack, during which one of the major arteries of the heart is blocked.
The hospital's statement also claimed that the patient "had a history of diabetes, hypertension and smoking. Despite due efforts by the medical team, the patient could not be saved."
Sharma, however, countered the hospital's claim, saying, "My uncle was a vegetarian, non-smoker and teetotaller. He never consumed such toxic substances in his life."