Millennium Post

Infant girl dies in pvt hospital, family claims overcharging

Gurugram: Even as the Haryana government plans to take firm action against negligent private hospitals, the level of mistrust among families of patient and hospitals only seems to be growing.
In the latest incident of alleged medical negligence, a 17–month-old girl succumbed to a mysterious illness at Gurugram's Artemis Hospital.
The family of the deceased girl, identified as Sudipta Debnath, have alleged that the private hospital overcharged them for her treatment. The family claimed that for barely four hours of treatment, they were charged Rs 45,763.
As was seen in earlier cases reported from other major private hospitals in the city, the Debnath family too complained that there was no transparency in the process followed by the hospital management.
Shockingly, they also claimed that other private hospitals where they had gone did not admit her.
The ordeal for Sudipta and her family started around 1.30 am on Thursday, when it was found that the infant was suffering from intense fever, and incessant coughing.
She was then taken to Polaris, Sanjeevani and Cloud Nine hospitals, but was denied treatment everywhere, as alleged by the family.
Ultimately, she was admitted to Artemis, where after a long discussion about the payment structure, she was admitted.
At 5.30 am, the family was not only given the bad news of Sudipta's death, but also a rude shock of an inflated bill.
The seething public anger against private healthcare providers in Gurugram is not a recent phenomenon.
Deaths and exploitation of minor patients in quick succession at private hospitals has resulted in a group of citizens demand action against erring hospitals.
The state government, on its part, has claimed that lack of proper law has tied the hands of authorities from taking strict action against erring hospitals.
After action was taken against on Fortis Hospital, people who have been victims of malpractice at the hands of private hospitals in Gurugram now want action against other hospitals.
There have been several private hospitals where shocking incidents of negligence and apathy have taken place.
On November 22 last year, 12-year-old Prateek, who was admitted in Park Hospital, died under mysterious circumstances.
The family of the deceased boy had alleged he died due to negligence. Currently, the Chief Medical Officer is investigating the matter.
A complaint was registered against Paras Hospital for a botched up surgery which led to a 24-year-old being shifted on ventilator support.
Next Story
Share it