Millennium Post

Help among three held for murder of 92-yr-old

Help among three held for murder of 92-yr-old

New Delhi: A 92-year-old man was killed in south east Delhi's Badarpur, police said on Wednesday, adding that they apprehended all three culprits – including the victim's domestic help – from Ballabhgarh railway station while they were trying to flee to Madhya Pradesh.

Cops said the accused claimed that they are juveniles, which is being investigated.

Investigators also said that for the last month, the domestic help had been working at the house of the victim's family, but they did not have him verified by the police.

Police said the deceased nonagenarian has been identified as Chandrabhan, who lived with his family in Molarband Extension.

A PCR call about the incident was received at around 8.30 am from Chandrabhan's grandson Kapil.

Pulkit, a relative, told Millennium Post that Chandrabhan had been unable to walk for the past few months due to an illness and was bedridden.

"He lived on the ground floor, while the family lives on the first floor. In the morning, we heard some screaming from his room. When Kapil went to check, he saw his mother Saroj Garg being strangulated by the three accused," said Pulkit.

He added that the domestic help and his two associates pushed Kapil and ran away from the house. Kapil also found that his grandfather was lying dead on the bed.

Cops were immediately called, while Saroj was shifted to AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Pulkit added that Saroj had gone to Chandrabhan's room to check on him in the morning, at which point she found him with his throat slit. Seeing her panicking at the sight, the three accused tried to attack her.

"During investigation, all the accused were nabbed from Ballabhgarh," police said.

Revealing the sequence of events during interrogation, the accused told cops that around 7.30 pm on Tuesday, the servant helped his associates enter the house to rob it.

Investigators said that the domestic help and his associates, all natives of Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh, hatched the plan to rob the Garg household.

On November 26, after the two associates came to Delhi, the domestic help requested the Garg family to allow them to stay for a night, but the family refused.

Eventually, the two youth went to Tughlakabad railway station and spend the night there, after which they entered the Garg household.

"The accused took a kitchen knife and slit the old man's throat," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (South East) Chinmoy Biswal.

He added that as the owners used to lock the main entrance of the house at night, the accused were unable to rob the house and flee. Thus, they stayed at the entire night in the victim's room.

Abhay Singh

Abhay Singh

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it