Top
Millennium Post

Gurugram will not be flooded this monsoon, assures minister

Gurugram: For the second time in less than a week, the state PWD minister Rao Narbir Singh visited the Badshapur drain and overlooked the work being done to widen the drain. After seeing the progress, the Badshapur MLA assured the citizens that unlike 2016 and 2018 when the city was flooded during monsoon, this time there will be no such situation. He was accompanied by the HUDA administrator Chander Shekhar Khare who briefed the minister about the progress.

"We are ensuring that there is no flood like situation this time and we are making sure that all the works as far as widening of the drain is being taken. We have had some legal hurdles due to which some part of the work is being stalled," said the minister.

A 600-metre stretch in Khandsa village was identified as the main reason for the 2016 deluge, as the drain narrows in Khandsa, with its width reducing from 30 metres to 10 metres, leading to overflow of rainwater at Hero Honda Chowk and areas around it.

According to the District officials, the capacity of Badshahpur drain in Khandsa village is being increased to 2100 cusecs and work is in the last phase of completion. It will be completed by June 30. There is however a challenge as some part of the work may not be completed due to legal hurdles.

According to an official statement released by the district administration about the meeting, Khatri had also informed Haryana chief minister ML Khattar that the motor pump panels at Hero Honda Chowk underpass, which was inundated with 50 million litres rainwater last year, have been placed outside the underpass. He also said that nearly all stormwater drains in the city have been cleaned. To make sure that there is better coordination of officials during monsoons, the Gururgam metropolitan development authority (GMDA) is also planning to open a control room from where all the situations will be monitored.

Next Story
Share it