Top
Millennium Post

Girl dies after drinking acid from water bottle in school

Girl dies after drinking acid from water bottle in school
X

New Delhi: An eleven-year-old girl was declared dead by doctors after she consumed acid mistakenly brought by her classmate in a cold drink bottle in Harsh Vihar. The girl, class 5th student of Deep memorial school was rushed to the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries on Tuesday. The police has registered a case of death due to negligence.

The incident happened during the lunchtime in the school in north-east Delhi when all the children gathered to have their meals. After having the meal, the 11-year-old girl Sanjana asked for the water bottle from one of her classmates.

As she drank the liquid thinking it to be water, she started vomiting. The rest of the students panicked after seeing her condition deteriorating quickly.

The school teachers were informed and soon she was rushed to the hospital. The doctors of GTB attended the girl but she succumbed to her injuries after approximately 10 hours of admission.

The investigation revealed that Sanjana's classmate mistakenly brought the acid bottle instead of a water bottle.

Police said that the family of the girl who brought acid to school actually kept acid in the same colour cold drink bottle in which they kept water.

The girl could not identify the two and instead of taking the water bottle brought the acid bottle to school.

"Sanjana who was a student of class 5th came to the school and felt uneasy after having lunch on Tuesday and also vomited in the

classroom.

A case of death due to negligence has been registered in this regard and investigation taken up," said Atul Thakur, DCP North East.

Sources said that the school was closed for 4 days and when another girl packed her bag for the school she mistakenly took the acid bottle instead of the water bottle and brought it to the school.

It was this bottle Sanjana borrowed for drinking water and collapsed. The family of the girl kept both acid and water in a cold drink bottle which resulted in confusion.

The body has been sent for post mortem. Sanjana's parents worked as a daily wager in Harsh Vihar.

Police has seized the bottle and sent it for forensic examination.

Next Story
Share it