Fire in Rohingya refugee camp razes 46 shanties
New Delhi: More than 40 shanties were gutted after a fire broke out at a Rohingya refugee camp located in Kalindi Kunj area of south east Delhi early Sunday morning.
Police said one person sustained a minor injury and they are investigating the case from all angles. According to the residents, over 200 persons living in 46 shanties were affected by the fire.
A senior fire official said that the incident came to light after they received the call around 3.30 am on Sunday.
He said the fire was brought under control by 6.50 am by nine fire tenders and one person received minor injuries.
Eyewitness claimed that many were left only with the clothes that they were wearing, while the fire incinerated everything they owned. In the morning, residents were seen searching for their belonging at the camp site.
"We were sleeping when we heard cries and noises, after which we came out and saw smoke and fire," said an eyewitness, adding that the blaze gutted all of the shelters in just half an hour.
He further said that the fire began at the back of the camp where the toilets are located.
"We somehow escaped from the fire and now we are living under the sky. Children are hungry as the food items all burnt in the blaze," said another residents.
Police said that a case has been filed under sections 285, 337 and 336 of the Indian Penal Code. They suspect that a spark from a short-circuit in the electric wiring caused the fire. Most of the shanties are made of combustible material
DCP (South East) Chinmoy Biswal said that the case is being probed from all angles and the reason for the fire is yet to be ascertained. "The team visited the spot and, after the investigation is complete, things will be clear about the fire," he said.
Located near the camp was a vehicle workshop and garage. A local man who attempted to recover a motorcycle at the garage burnt his hands and was taken to the hospital.
Refugees at the Kalindi Kunj camp have been living there for more than four years.