Top
Millennium Post

Fire caused by gas leak claims five-yr-old girl, grandmother

Fire caused by gas leak claims five-yr-old girl, grandmother
X
NEW DELHI: In a tragic incident, a 75-year-old woman was charred to death along with her five-year-old granddaughter, after a gas cylinder leakage caused a fire in their house in Bara Hindu Rao area of north Delhi.
Six other members of the family sustained serious injuries in the fire. 10 fire tenders were reached the spot to douse the flames.
The incident occurred around 8.55 am on Saturday, when Preeti was preparing tea for her in-laws on the first floor of their house. At this time, the LPG gas cylinder in the kitchen started leaking, but no one noticed. As soon as Preeti lit the stove, it caught fire.
Within moments, the fire spread into a nearby room, which engulfed Preeti's 75-year-old mother-in-law Bhagwati Devi.
In an attempt to save the elderly woman, her son Vijay (35), Preeti and their two daughters Kavya and Vanshika, aged five and seven respectively, also received severe burn injuries.
Bhagwati's elder son Devraj, who lives on the second floor with his wife Sushila and son Rajan, heard the commotion and raised an alarm. While trying to save his family, Devraj and his wife and son also received injuries.
All members of the family were immediately rushed to LNJP and Ram Manohar Lohia hospitals.
While Bhagwati Devi was declared brought dead to the hospital, Kavya succumbed to her injuries in the evening. The condition of her seven-year-old sister Vanshika is said to be serious.
Locals were the first to respond and initially tried dousing the flames themselves. Soon, the fire brigade was informed and 10 fire tenders reached the spot.
After around an hour, the fire was completely extinguished and cooling operations took place.
"It was a small room. The gas stove was kept near the door on the first floor. We rushed to the spot after a neighbour informed us that fire took place at our relative's place," said Teerath Ram, Bhagwati Devi's son-in-law.
"We reached the spot immediately and monitored the rescue operation closely. It is a tragic case and we have registered an FIR under section 285/337/304 (A) of IPC," said a police officer.
Next Story
Share it