Fire catches nail polish factory, nine injured
New Delhi: Nine persons were injured after a fire broke out inside a nail polish paint unit in Bawana area of Outer North district on Friday. Police have arrested the factory owner in this regard.
According to Delhi Fire Services (DFS), they got information about the fire around 2.48 am after which more than 20 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Nine persons were taken out and rushed to different hospitals.
"The factory did not have any fire NOC, " said Chief Fire Officer (DFS) Atul Garg. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer North) Gaurav Sharma stated that it is being suspected that the fire started from the exhaust fan (possibly short circuit) and spread all over the unit. Nine persons who were sleeping inside the factory injured in the incident and later taken to the hospital.
According to the workers, they were sleeping on the third floor of the factory when smoke started to seep into their room. One of the victims Jaggi who is admitted in LNJP hospital told Millennium Post that he was sleeping when he smelled smoke and woke up only to find a room filled with smoke. "I tried to run but there was a blast in the wall and after which I lost my consciousness," said Jaggi. The victim is the native of Madhya Pradesh and was working in the factory from the last two-three years.
Relatives of another injured person named Veerpal were present at the LNJP hospital. One of his relatives Pawan Kumar stated that Veerpal was seriously injured and unable to open his one eye and he had also received multiple fractures in the incident. "From several years, he had been working there but no safety gears were provided in the factory," said the relative.
According to DCP, they will check whether the factory was legal or not and also they have arrested the factory owner in the case identified as Hitesh Bhagwani. "At the time of fire, Bhagwani was in the home and informed by workers regarding fire," added DCP Sharma.
The workers were paid a salary ranging from 10 to 12 thousand. Last year, the incident of fire in a factory in Bawana had made it to the national headlines when 17 workers were reportedly charred to death.