Fire breaks out at AIIMS Trauma Centre, no casualties reported
New Delhi: A fire broke out in an operation theater in the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) hospital in Delhi on Tuesday at around 6 pm, and to douse the fire, around 24 fire-tenders were sent to the spot which took around 30 minutes to brought the fire under control. However, hospital sources informed that a short circuit could have let to fire at the hospital.
"A medium category fire broke out at the basement of AIIMS Trauma Centre, Delhi. The fire is completely under control now. There are no casualties. Upper floor was vacated due to smoke," Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg said.
Hospital sources informed that fire brigade was called at around 6 pm where around 200 to 300 people were present at that floor.
Moreover, the fire erupted on the ground floor of Trauma Centers, which has around six operation theaters and at the time fire broke out, two patients were undergoing the surgery at three operational theaters.
He further added that the ground and the first floor evacuated because the patients were there. Although the fire stopped, the smoke was all around in basement.
"With the help of oxygen masks, the search was conducted to ascertain no body is trapped. There was also a leakage in oxygen pipe which was later repaired.
The sources further informed that around 3,000 people were present at the same building where fire broke out and admitted patients had to be shifted to another ward and others were evacuated since the smoke engulfed the ground floor of the building. The electricity supply has been stopped in the building for now and short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the incident, they said.
AIIMS administration has instituted an inquiry into the matter to identify the cause of fire and to suggest further measures for improvement.
"No patients or their attendants were in any way harmed or injured due to the fire incident. There has been no injury to the staff as well. Extent of damage is not yet known and will be assessed later," said in a AIIMS statement.