Father of deceased to join investigation today
NEW DELHI: The lungs and viscera samples of brothers Jahangir and Izaz, who died while cleaning a sewage tank at a mall in east Delhi on Saturday afternoon, have been preserved to examine the cause behind the death of the deceased.
Meanwhile, police said Yusuf, the father of the deceased youth, was also present at the spot during the incident and will join investigation on Monday.
Police are hopeful that they will get more clues after they record the statement of the father, one of the eyewitnesses.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Shahdara) Nupur Prasad said that they are probing the case from all angles.
According to police, the doctors have preserved parts of the victims' bodies for chemical analysis and also to check the toxic gases which entered their bodies, resulting in their demises.
Sources in Delhi Police claimed that they are questioning the staff of Aggarwal Fun City Mall, where the deceased had gone to clean the sewers.
Sources told Millennium Post that the staff told police that the management of the mall had outsourced the task of cleaning the sewers to the brothers.
Post-mortem of the deceased was conducted at Sabzi Mandi mortuary, where doctors stated that the victims died due to inhalation of poisonous gases.
The incident took place in Anand Vihar on Saturday around 1 pm, after Yusuf (50) and Jahangir (24) and Izaz (22) entered the sewer and collapsed, police said. After they did not come out for a long time, the police and fire department were informed.
A firemen, Mahipal, who had entered the sewer, collapsed after inhaling toxic fumes.
The injured were rushed to hospital, where Jahangir and Izaz were declared brought dead.
Last week, in a similar incident, three men who were manually cleaning a sewer line at Lajpat Nagar had died after inhaling noxious fumes. The incident was reported three weeks after the death of four men while cleaning a septic tank in South Delhi's Ghitorni.