Family was planning a trip to Mussoorie
New Delhi: Near Suri Villa, the apartment where a fire broke out claiming the lives of four people, residents of the area were talking about the horrific fire in North West Delhi's Kohat Enclave. The residents of the apartment were seen collecting their things which were saved during the fire. It was the first time they witnessed such an incident at Kohat Enclave.
"The family was planning for a trip to Mussoorie on Friday morning, now they are no more. This is heart-wrenching," said one of the residents of the area. The deceased family had told one of their relative to pick them from their house. The relative made phone calls on the deceased's phone in the morning but no one picked up the phone. So, he reached the spot and came to know about the incident.
Aman who lives on the upper ground floor of the apartment recollected the horrific incident. He stated that he heard the blast and came out soon. In half an hour, the building was gutted. "The fire started from the electronic meter and soon engulfed the vehicles. We saw smoke and ran down but as soon as we came, the blaze started to catch other floors of the apartment and in half an hour, the building was gutted," said Aman.
Speaking to the Millennium Post, Atul Garg, Chief Fire Officer, Delhi Fire Services (DFS) stated that in summer the wiring of the house should be checked. "Temperature is high in summer and people use AC and they do not check the wiring and also the meter whether it can support the load or not," said Garg, adding that meter should be checked regularly.
According to the police, one of the families living in the building saw smoke emanating from downstairs and started running downstairs. While they were alighting the stairs, they informed the families on other floors by banging their doors and calling out to them, police said.