Ex-Colonel injured in cylinder blast
New Delhi: An ex-army man was injured in a cylinder blast at his house in Keshavpuram in north-west Delhi. The blast which occurred in the afternoon shook the windows and doors of even neighbours. The blast was followed by fire which engulfed the house soon. The police along with fire brigade officers visited the spot and doused the flames. The retired Colonel V S Pokhriyal was injured too in the blast and was immediately admitted in the hospital. Later, he was referred to Safdarjung hospital in South Delhi for treatment. The fire was so strong that it soon engulfed all the combustible material present in the house. The police said that he resided alone in the house at ground floor. The reason for the fire is still unknown and the cops are investigating if the gas leak led to the blast or the blast happened first. On precautionary measure, the police vacated the adjacent flat of the building. "As soon as the house caught fire, we rushed in and saved Uncleji, who was trapped inside, we assume that the incident happened with a possible gas leak. The impact was so deadly that it affected the doors of the neighbours as well," said an eyewitness.
Neighbours said that there were two cylinders, one empty and one full. The full cylinder was having a regulator affixed to it. "We brought the cylinder with regulator outside, it was leaking, we somehow managed to press it with our fingertips to reduce the leakage along with fire officials," said another neighbour.