Millennium Post

DMRC trainee battles life after electrocution

New Delhi: A newly joined employee of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) suffered life-changing injuries when he was electrocuted on Sunday night near DMRC's Faridabad Receiving Sub Station(RSS) of Line-6. The injured employee has been identified as Aneesh Kumar, 21, a trainee electrician who joined the DMRC on July 27, 2017.
"No competency to work on high tension equipment given to him from DMRC. He was working in PSI department under Avinash Parmar ( Manager/Traction) and Pankaj Gupta( AGM/Traction)," said an employee of the DMRC, on condition of anonymity.
According to the DMRC spokesperson, "A staff from the Electrical section got an electric shock during the field training work on the night of 28/29 October at Faridabad Receiving Sub Station. He was taken to Safdarjung Hospital and is under treatment. The incident is being investigated."
Sources at the DMRC said that the incident took place at around 2.50 am, while the employee was doing routine maintenance work of insulators during his night duty and the concerned section was in discharged condition."
He further said that suddenly line was charged without informing the staff working on the site and one of the Metro employees came into electrocution grip. A group of 8 Metro employees including 2 supervisors were working on site."
According to the doctor at Safdarjung Hospital, the condition of the Metro employee who has received nearly 50 per cent of burn injury, is critical.
A DMRC staff said, "It is a serious safety lapse on part of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) as how a new employee could be assigned to work on high tension lines/equipment without providing proper training and issuing competency."
An employee on anonymity said that similar accidents took place in past at various project sites of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and the matters were covered up. On February 14, 2006, a Metro staff was found dead due to OHE electrocution.
Next Story
Share it