Millennium Post

For passionate musicians, choices abound in Delhi University

Music for some people is just a form of leisure. But for some, it is their soul something which has the power to heal everything.

Music may be an artistic pursuit, but making a career out of music is a dream of every singer and instrumentalist.

To this end, in Delhi University, nearly 2,189 applications were received for Vocal Music and 960 were received for Instrumental Music this academic session.

The varsity offers BA (Hons) in Instrumental Music – which includes specialisation in Indian and Western – and Vocal Music – which includes specialisation in Indian (classical, light, and folk) and Western (classical and light).

"There are five colleges, which have music courses. Daulat Ram College and Indraprastha College for Women are among the top priority for students," said a DU official.

He stated that Hindu College, one of the finest colleges in North Campus, offers a four-year full time degree in BA (Hons) Music. Meanwhile, Ramjas College offers a three years BA (Hons), with 10 seats, and has 20 seats for postgraduate programme.

Indraprastha College for Women offers a three-year BA (Hons) degree – with maximum of 37 seats – in Hindustani and Carnatic classic music in both instrumental and vocal.

Students who wish to pursue a professional career in music can also apply to Daulat Ram Colleges which, in addition to BA, offers MA and higher education degrees, such as MPhil and PhD.

"The music department in the college continuously strives to inculcate in the students the fundamentals of various ragas, history of music and life sketches of great musicians," said Red Light Passengers, a Delhi-based Naga pop/punk rock band.

Meanwhile, Miranda House offers BA (Hons) degree, with 15 seats, and an MA in Music.

Each student in the course is required to take, in addition to the papers in the main discipline, two concurrent credit courses and one concurrent qualifying course in the first year.
Two concurrent discipline-centred credit courses are required in the second year.

Next Story
Share it