Millennium Post

Could not give my daughter a glass of water: Nirbhaya's mother

NEW DELHI: "It has been five years now but one question that still kills me and my family from inside is that my daughter had to face such a horrific incident.
"In her last days we were not able to give at least a cup of water to drink," said the mother of the 23-year-old paramedical student, who was gang-raped in a moving bus in the national capital on December 16, 2012, who later died during treatment.
Talking to Millennium Post, the mother of the victim stated that their life after the incident has changed forever. The family continues to struggle the odds why she had to face such pain and died eventually. ''Her memories are everywhere," said the mother with numb eyes. When asked what changes she had observed since the incident took place, she said safety initiatives for women remained on paper.
''I have been hearing many cases of crime against women in the Capital, I have also heard that many initiatives have been taken by the government… but I think they are mostly only on papers," said the mother.
One of the ironies which family thinks is that they were not able to give their daughter even a glass of water when she was in pain.
"Those monsters made my daughter cry due to the pain…I cannot forget that horrific memory," said the mother. The victim's father is working with the private company and her brother recently became an airline pilot.
Her mother further stated that she would stand with every women victim who has been abused.'' I lost everything but I will stand with all helpless women so that the trauma, which I am facing do not face by other mothers," said the mother.
The 23-year-old paramedic student was gang-raped on the intervening night of December 16 and 17, 2012 inside a moving bus in South Delhi by a gang of six persons and severely assaulted before being thrown out naked.
She succumbed to her injuries on December 29 in Singapore. All the accused were nabbed by police.
Next Story
Share it