New Delhi: The CBI on Tuesday submitted a status report on its probe into the mysterious disappearance of Najeeb Ahmed in the Delhi High Court, and is believed to have said that the auto-rickshaw driver who the Delhi Police claimed to have dropped the JNU student at Jamia Millia Islamia has retracted his statement.
The status report, giving details of the steps the CBI has taken in the matter, was submitted in a sealed cover before a bench of Justices S Muralidhar and I S Mehta. The details were not discussed in the open court. According to CBI sources, when agency sleuths grilled the auto-rickshaw driver he told them that he was forced to give a statement that he had picked 27-year-old Najeeb Ahmed, a student of M.Sc in Biotechnology, from the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) campus and left him at Jamia Millia Islamia on October 15 last year.
The driver's statement was recorded under duress by the Delhi Police, the CBI submitted in the high court, the agency sources said. Najeeb went missing on October 15 following an on-campus scuffle allegedly with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) members the night before in Mahi-Mandavi Hostel of JNU. The probe agency, which earlier received flak from the court for its "complete lack of interest" in the matter, told the bench that it was awaiting forensic results of the mobile phones of nine JNU students that were seized in connection with its probe.
Asked about the status report, CBI spokesperson Abhishek Dayal said he would not comment on the report as it was submitted in a "sealed cover" and the matter was sub-judice.
When the CBI's counsel urged the court to conduct in- chamber proceedings in the matter, the bench said it would consider it on the next date of hearing on December 21.