Millennium Post

Cases climb to 503, toll rises to 7

Cases climb to 503, toll rises to 7

New Delhi: The number of Coronavirus cases climbed to 503 and the death toll rose to seven in the national Capital on Sunday, with 58 fresh cases and one death being reported in a day, according to Delhi government authorities.

The cases include 320 people who took part in a religious congregation in Nizamuddin last month, they said.

Till Saturday night, the number of cases of the deadly virus stood at 445 in the city, including six deaths.

Of the total cases, 18 have been discharged and one has migrated out of the country.

Meanwhile, Lt Governor Anil Baijal has directed the health department to identify private hospitals which can be taken over by the government, official sources said on Sunday.

They said the government has limited resources and hence ICU wards, beds and other

facilities of private hospitals can be used to deal with the increasing numbers of Coronavirus cases.

"In government hospitals, medical treatment to other disease-related patients cannot be stopped. In view of this, private hospitals can be engaged for the same," a source said.

Officials have been asked to prepare a list of private hospitals that can be taken over if needed.

"In a recent meeting, the LG directed officials to prepare a list of private hospitals which can be taken over by government in case a need arises and their infrastructure can be used to treat COVID-19 patients. The government will provide treatment to Coronavirus patients admitted at these hospitals," a source said.

Delhi Food and Civil Supplies Minister Imran Hussain on Sunday directed officials to check overcharging of essential items by retailers in the wake of the lockdown imposed to combat the Coronavirus threat.

According to a government statement, teams of officials on Sunday conducted surprise inspections in several markets such as Lahori Gate and S N Market and found violations of Packaged Commodity Rules (PCRs) by retailers.

Shopkeepers were found stocking some packed items not showing MRP, packed items containing mandatory declarations on stickers in violation of PCRs and certain packed commodities not having customer care numbers printed on them, it said Imposition of Rs 1 lakh as fine on six retailers has been initiated, the statement said.

Hussain directed officials to take strict action against those violating the laid down rules.

The Delhi government provided lunch and dinner to around 6.5 lakh people at 1,500 food distribution centres across the city on Saturday, an official statement said.

The government also received 1,040 calls requesting for supply of food, it said.

On March 31, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had announced that the Delhi government will arrange facilities to feed 10 to 12 lakh people daily from April 1 in view of the coronavirus lockdown.

"We are feeding 3.5 lakh-4 lakh people daily until now, and we will start feeding 10-12 lakh people from tomorrow. Upon further deliberations on this, we found out that people were crowding at the food centres. So we decided to create more centres," Kejriwal had said.

"The government provided lunch to 6,48,469 people and dinner to 6,50,667 people at around 1,500 centres on April 4," the statement said.

Nearly 2,500 schools and 250-night shelters have started distributing food to 500 people a day, bringing the total number of distribution centres to nearly 2,800.

To ensure that the free meal scheme is equitably accessible to the needy so that they do not have to walk for miles looking for food, the Delhi government has made the schools and night shelters as key food distribution points. At the time of food distribution, the government is also ensuring social distancing, safety and sanitation for the people, the statement added.

Meanwhile, a man suspected to have contracted Coronavirus allegedly attempted to commit suicide by jumping from the third floor of a hospital in Central Delhi. The 37-year-old man was admitted to the Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narayan Hospital on March 31, police said. Around 11.30 p.m. on Saturday, he jumped from the third floor of the hospital. He first hit a tin roof before hitting the ground, fracturing his leg, police added. According to doctors, his condition is stable and the test result for Coronavirus is still awaited.

The man had walked into the hospital on March 31, complaining about a running nose and cough. Initial investigation revealed that he was depressed and feared to be infected by the COVID-19.

Next Story
Share it