New Delhi: Putting his life on the line, an assistant sub-inspector with the PCR unit of Delhi Police save two persons trapped on the roof of a house in Kanhaiya Nagar where a fire had broken out late Tuesday night.
Police said that on the intervening night of June 12 and 13, the PCR van staff in North West Zone Commander-21 was patrolling in Ashok Vihar.
"Around 10.20 pm, the team received information regarding a fire incident in a house situated in Kanhiya Nagar," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (PCR) SD Misra.
After rushing to the spot, the PCR van staff found that the fire had broken out due to a short circuit in the circuit board installed in the basement of the building.
"The staff, with help from locals, arranged sand dust and dowsed off the fire. The whole premise of the house was filled with smoke and ASI Mahi Lal noticed two persons trapped on the roof of the house shouting for help," said the DCP.
Immediately, Mahi Lal rushed to the roof, but found the door locked.
However, he kept him cool and with the help of both the trapped persons, managed to break open the door and rescue the two persons
"In the rescue process, ASI Mahi Lal got breathlessness due to smoke and became unconscious. He was immediately shifted to Deep Chand Bandhu Hospital and was admitted there for treatment," said the police officer.
The DCP stated that the staff did a highly commendable work by putting their lives in danger, and will be suitably rewarded for their quick response and exemplary action.