Balcony to balcony 'ladder bridge' made to rescue family
New Delhi: It was around 1 pm when Syed Irfan, an IT Consultant heard shrieks of horror from a neighbour's house in Shaheen Bagh's Abu Fazal Enclave in southeast Delhi. Soon he rushed out to see his neighbour's flat engulfed in fire and the family crying for help. He soon rushed into his house and brought a ladder as the main entrance was choked.
"We made a ladder bridge over the small lane joining the two balconies of the neighbouring houses. Then I along with others rescued the family members one by one. It was too difficult to even stand near the house as the flames of fire were getting more and more dangerous," said Syed Irfan, who was working from home when the fire incident happened.
Shoeb, another resident of Shaheen Bagh had bruises over his body while saving the family. He said "We saved 5 children and women. I also lifted people on my shoulder to make a human pyramid to rescue the family trapped inside the flat.
A madrasa teacher Ansarul Haq said that he saw people rushing to the flat with water and fire extinguishers but since the fire was too large it couldn't be controlled until the fire brigade arrived.
The 3 story building has a furniture store in the basement and the upper ground floor. The first floor was used as a drawing room by the family where the children went to play. The family resided on the third floor.
However, two toddlers Aisha (6 years) and Zaid (5 years) both cousins couldn't be saved as the children hid under the bed when the fire started on the first floor. Ehsan Mallik who lost his daughter Aisha in the fire was visited by his sister along with her 5-year-old son Zaid a few days back. Zaid too choked to death in the fire.
"The injured were rushed to the hospital where the two children succumbed to injuries. The reason of the fire seems to be a short circuit, further investigation is underway," said DCP South East Delhi, Chinmoy Biswal.