6 killed in compressor blast
New Delhi: A ceiling fan manufacturing factory collapsed in West Delhi's Moti Nagar area on Thursday night killing six persons.
The Delhi Fire Services claimed that the reason behind the incident was the blast. Sources claimed that two persons are still trapped inside the collapsed structure and search is going on.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (west) Monika Bharadwaj has confirmed the incident. "Six persons died in the incident so far and debris is being removed from the spot to ensure that no one is trapped inside it," said DCP Monika. An eyewitness present at the spot claimed that after seeing the collapse he informed ambulance.
Chief Fire Officer (DFS) Atul Garg told Millennium Post that they received a call around 8.48 pm from Moti Nagar area. As many as eight fire tenders rushed to the spot and started the rescue operation. Many persons were found trapped inside the debris.
"One storey building collapsed due to compressor blast. Eight persons were rushed to the hospital," said DFS chief. He further claimed that two persons are still trapped inside the building.
Sources claimed that the investigation is going on to check whether the factory had any permission or running illegally in the area.
Sources claimed that the impact of the blast was such that the building was completely destroyed.
One of the passersby saw the collapsed structure and informed the ambulance regarding the incident.
"It is suspected that the deceased can be the labours who were working in the first floor of the godown. Their identity is being investigated," said sources.
A video accessed by Millennium Post, it can be seen that the fire officials are searching debris of the building in Moti Nagar.
However, a case has been registered in police station and the investigation is still going on from all angles.
Recently, four persons died working in a clothes manufacturing factory after they met with fire in Central Delhi's Karol Bagh area.
In September five persons including four children died after a dilapidated four-storey building was collapsed in Sawan Park area.
More than 350 persons in the city died since 2009 in-house collapsed claimed the data of Delhi Fire Services (DFS).
The data of DFS accessed by Millennium Post claimed that in 2009-10, around 34 persons died whereas in the 2010-11, the death toll increased to 112 whereas in 2011-12, 47 deaths were witnessed in the city.
"The structure collapsed in the year 2012-13 claimed 37 lives whereas, in 2013-14, around 29 persons died. More than 40 persons were killed in 2014-15 whereas in 2016-17 over 20 persons lost their lives. From 2017 to March 2018, 11 persons died," claimed the DFS data.