Curfew in Srinagar after boy dies of pellet injuries, toll reaches 86
The death toll in the unrest in the Valley that began following the killing of militant commander Burhan Wani on July 8 has now risen to 86, including two policemen.
“Curfew has been imposed in Harwan area of Srinagar city this morning while it remains in force in five police station areas of downtown (interior areas) city and Batamaloo,” a police official said.
A pellet-ridden body of a youth was found in Harwan area of the city late on Friday night. He was allegedly injured in security forces action on protesters during the clashes in the area on Friday.
Normal life in the violence-hit Valley remained paralysed for the 71st consecutive day due to restrictions and separatist-sponsored strike. The official said curfew was also enforced in the towns of Badgam in central Kashmir and Pulgam in south.
Restrictions on assembly of people continued in the rest of the Valley to maintain law and order, he said.
The separatists have extended the protest programme till September 22. They have not announced any relaxation in the strike even in the evening hours.
Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps continued to remain shut while public transport was off the roads. Schools, colleges and other education institutions also remained closed due to the strike called by the separatist to protest the deaths of civilians.
Meanwhile, mobile telephone, except postpaid connections of BSNL, and internet including broadband service was restored on Saturday after five days. For over two months now, unrest has been convulsing Kashmir. A long spell of curfew across the Valley and shutdowns called by the separatists, protests and crackdowns by security forces had become routine. Two successive visits by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh in July and August and then an all-party delegation’s visit earlier this month has not made much difference to the situation on the ground.