Millennium Post

Crime Diary: July 16


The man behind a daylight robbery that occurred in north-east Delhi’s Bhajanpura in which two businessman brothers were shot at, has been apprehended by the Delhi police on Sunday. ‘The arrested person was the main planner who had done the recce before crime,’ claimed the police.
The robbery was committed on 18 June, when the victims Pankaj, 39, and Jitender, 30, were going to the Bank of Baroda from their C-6, Yamuna Vihar shop on their bike. They work as distributors with Vodafone, and own shops on the ground floor of their house.

‘The accused, identified as Mohammad Pravez, who was involved in more than 11 criminal cases both in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh, planned the entire robbery and executed it with the help of his three associates,’ said a police officer.

During interrogation, Parvez disclosed the identities of his associates. But the police is yet to catch them as they have absconded. ‘The four had done the recce before committing the crime. After the robbery, Parvez got Rs 3.5 lakh as his share,’ told the official.

Parvez told the police that his three associates on bike attacked the victims, who were going to deposit the cash at a nearby bank, and robbed Rs 20 lakh.

At 12.30 pm, when the brothers turned into the service road of B Block in Yamuna Vihar, they were assailed by three bikers. Jitender, who was driving, did not stop. The accused, incensed, fired at them and a bullet hit Pankaj. The men then overtook the brothers and shot at Jitender.

Jitender received three bullet injuries on his left arm, stomach and neck.

After the arrest of Parvez, the police has been conducting raids at various places in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh to nab the absconding three accused. Parvez who hails from Hapur in Uttar Pradesh has three wives, the official added.


A senior 45-year-old Delhi police constable committed suicide by shooting himself with his service revolver. He was identified as Virender Singh.

‘Singh was a head constable with the Delhi police’s security cell. According to his colleagues, he was depressed over personal issues.

He shot himself with his service gun on Sunday morning in Sector-23 of Gurgaon,’ said a police official.

The official added that Singh was a resident of Wazirabad village and was staying with his wife and two children. Quite often, he used to visit his home in Gurgaon. He also has a room in the police quarters.

One of Singh’s colleague alleged, ‘Singh was worried about something ever since he returned from his house at Waziarbad village this time. On Saturday night, he wanted to home to Gurgaon to see his family. In the morning when we met him, he was sounding very dull. When we asked him, he did not respond. He just told us that he was going to complete his pending work. And after a few hours, we got to know that Singh shot himself.’

On Sunday, before he shot himself, he had been to the residence of Ravi Shankar who is additional deputy commissioner [crime branch]. Singh was supposedly in good terms with Shankar. ‘When Singh visited Shankar’s house he was unavailable,’ added the police official.


Contradictions and infirmities in the prosecution’s case have led a Delhi court to acquit a man accused of robbing a petrol pump salesman of over Rs 9,000.

Metropolitan Magistrate Sunena Sharma let off accused Balbir Singh saying that the testimonies of petrol pump employee Shish Ram and his co-worker, who was an eyewitness, were contradictory.

‘The testimony of material witnesses i.e. complainant Shish Ram and Sudama Pandey [co-worker] is in total contradiction with each other. Considering the contradictions and infirmities in the prosecution case, I am of the view that the accused deserves to be acquitted.

Prosecution has miserably failed to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt. Accordingly, accused is acquitted in the present,’ the court said.

Ram in his complaint had said on 8 July 2009 night, three people came on a motorcycle and one of the them snatched a bundle of notes from him, while the other two overpowered him.

Ram had alleged Balbir was the person who had slapped him, while his accomplice took out the cash from his pocket.

He also testified that as the trio were fleeing, he caught hold of one of them when two more men came on another motorcycle and threatened to attack him with a knife.

Ram’s co-worker, however, had presented a ‘totally different story’, the court had observed.

According to the co-worker, only two people had come on the first motorcycle and he had identified the second two-wheeler as a ‘scooter’ and not a motorcycle.


The Delhi police has claimed to have arrested a 22-year-old youth from Punjab for allegedly impersonating as a sub inspector and cheating people on the pretext of providing government jobs.

‘The accused Robin was familiar with the police as his father works as assistant sub-inspector in Indo-Tibetan Border Police [ITBP]. He had appeared for the exam for getting recruited in Delhi police, but failed,’ said Devesh Chandra Srivastva, additional commissioner [central].

Despite failing in the examination, he had got a police uniform stitched from local market near Wazirabad Police Training School. He subsequently contacted his friends and relatives and convinced them that he had joined the Delhi police. In order to win their trust, he used to meet them in police uniform.

Robin’s racket was however busted over investigation into a complaint lodged at Karol Bagh police station on 4 June. The complainant, Jai Bharat, works as a sales executive in Hotel Surya Palace at Karol Bagh.

He alleged that Robin was his schoolmate and had recently met him at the hotel, where Robin introduced himself as a Delhi police sub inspector. During informal conversation, Robin enquired about Jai’s younger brother and told him that he could arrange an Indian Railways job on payment of Rs 2.5 lakh.

‘Jai also alleged that Robin used to boast that he was in close touch with several senior government officials and met him in police uniform. Convinced, Jai eventually agreed to the proposal and paid Rs 2.14 lakh in several installments,’ Srivastva added.

On 4 June, Robin came to Hotel Surya Palace and stayed with Jai for the night in his room and left early in the morning. On the same day, Jai receieved a SMS on his mobile phone regarding withdrawal of Rs 40,000 from his bank account. It was found that the cash was withdrawn from an ATM.

‘It was later confirmed with the help of CCTV footage that Robin had withdrawn the money. It is alleged that he had stolen the ATM Card from Jai’s purse and got the PIN number from Jai’s mobile phone,’ said Srivastva. Jai further found out that his second ATM card was also stolen and Rs 74,000 were withdrawn by using the same modus operandi.

Robin who was absconding since the meeting on 4 June was finally apprehended with the help of a tip-off from Punjab’s Jalandhar district.

On enquiry, it was revealed that Robin had cheated several people on the pretext of getting them jobs. On interrogation, the 22-year-old told the police that he started cheating people to lead a luxurious lifestyle. CCTV footage obtained from Hotel Surya Palace has also confirmed his movement in police uniform.


Three people were killed and three injured in separate road accidents in various parts of the national capital in the last 24 hours.

In the first incident, a 28-year-old grocery store owner was crushed to death after a speeding car hit him from behind at Sonia Vihar in north east Delhi, the police said.

The victim, identified as Rajeev, was on his way home on his bike on Saturday late night when the speeding Scorpio car hit him from behind at Sonia Vihar, the police said. The incident took place at around 10 pm. He was dragged for about 50 metres from the accident site, due to the impact, said a police officer.

Rajeev, who is married and has two small kids, was lying on the road when a passerby made a call to the police control room. ‘We reached the spot and rushed the victim to Guru Teg Bahadur hospital where during treatment he succumbed to his injuries,’ said the officer.

The driver of the car fled from the spot leaving his vehicle behind. The police has impounded the car and have registered a case of negligence driving against the accused.

In the second incident, a youth was killed early Sunday morning, minutes after he allegedly crushed to death a cyclist, police said. The incident took place at Okhla in south-east Delhi at around 12.15 pm and the victims were identified as Vishnu, 25, the truck driver, and Vijender, 28, who was on a bicycle that was hit by the truck.

Vishnu was driving the truck and rammed his vehicle into a container on Okhla flyover while trying to overtake it. He was allegedly fleeing after hitting the cyclist.

The impact of the collision of truck and container was so severe that gas cutters were used to take the driver out. Vishnu, who was stuck inside, was taken out after two hours by fire brigade and police officials. He was rushed to All India Institute of Medical Sciences, where he declared brought dead.

The cyclist identified as Vijender was also found near the accident site. He was also rushed to the hospital where he was declared brought dead.

In third incident, three people were injured after two cars collided head on at Bhagwan Dass Road near India Gate in New Delhi on early Sunday morning. The incident took place at around 2 am.

The occupants, however, were safe due to air bags, three people received minor injuries. The police said that a couple was travelling in the Audi and four people were in Skoda.


Two men, including a person associated with Bihar’s heath department, have been arrested on charges of drug trafficking in the national capital after they were caught with 10 kg of charas on Friday evening.

‘The accused Ram Adhar Sah and Manoj alias Dukhi Ram, who hail from Bihar’s Betia district, have been apprehended and charas worth Rs 10 lakh was recovered from their possession,’ said Sanjay Kumar Jain, deputy commissioner [crime and railways].

‘Thanks to a tip-off that two men involved in trafficking of drugs in Delhi would be coming to Peeragarhi Chowk bus stop to deliver a consignment to one of their clients, we managed to catch them red handed,’ added Jain.

On sustained interrogation, Ram told the police that he started drug trafficking to meet the expenses of his family. He along with two of his accomplices had procured the seized
from Nepal.

‘Ram was earlier arrested in 2010, when he came to Delhi to deliver a consignment of opium. He was released on bail in 2011,’ Jain said.

On the other hand, Manoj told police that he is an activist with Bihar government’s health department in Narkatiaganj. Ram lives in his neighbouring village and had asked Manoj to join him to earn some easy money.

A case under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances [NDPS] Act has been registered against the duo.

The police has recovered 110 kg of charas, 1,294 kg of ganja, 20 kg of heroin and 1.5 kg of cocaine till 30 June this year. And over 650 drug traffickers have also been arrested.
Next Story
Share it