Top
Millennium Post

CP’s deadline extended yet again

After a series of delays, the Connaught Place redevelopment work is finally expected to be completed by March this year but the NDMC is no hurry to hold the agencies accountable for the lapses.

Unveiling this year’s budget, NDMC chairperson Archana Arora said on Monday that right now the focus of the civic agency was on completing the project which aims to give a facelift to the British era structure of the commercial hub as soon as possible and that they were not yet thinking about launching an inquiry into the delay.

The agency had earlier set December 2012 as the deadline to complete the project that was launched before the Commonwealth Games 2010. However, that too could not be met.

‘Yes, the CP work has not been completed yet. Out of 12 blocks, facade restoration in 10 blocks had been completed. In two it’s on, hopefully it will be completed by next month. As far as surface development is concerned, in the middle corridor circle, concrete road has been made, garbage stations and toilets are being made,’ Arora said while answering questions about the delay in the project.

The CP plan has also seen several revisions including slashing of the budget and the shelving of an underground parking and subway project.

‘Earlier, our project costs were Rs 674 crore but over time some plans were changed and now the budget stands at Rs 400 crore. Till now Rs 296 crores have been spent,’ Arora said.

She said the NDMC had raised objections with the Engineers India Limited (EIL), the implementing authority of  the project, about the delays but the primary objective at the moment was to finish the work. ‘Let us first finish the work, then we will think if it is needed. At this point of time, we want to complete the project,’ Arora added.
MPost

MPost

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Next Story
Share it