Court remands four to 13-day police custody for student lynching

A local court on Wednesday remanded four persons to 13-day police custody in connection with the death of an ITI student at Diamond Harbour in South 24 Parganas district. The four, including a woman, were produced in the SDJM’s court in connection with the death of Kaushik Purakayat, a student of an ITI institute in the district, who was fatally beaten up by a mob at Harindanga in the district on May 9 night.

The judge rejected their bail plea and remanded all the four to 13 days’ police custody. They were charged with causing grievous injury, illegal confinement and abduction. Five people were apprehended in connection with the murder but one was released later for want of evidence.

The situation turned tense at Harindanga near Diamond Harbour in South 24-Parganas when local people ransacked the houses of the accused protesting against Tuesday’s incident. The police arrested three more persons in this connection. But the prime accused, Tapas Mallick is still absconding. He had allegedly led the mob and instigated the people to beat up the 23-year-old Kaushik Purakayat.

The situation turned violent when CPI(M) leader Kanti Ganguly visited the spot. The victim’s body was also brought to the village before the funeral ceremony right at that time. Hundreds of youth also reached the place in three trucks. They were armed with wooden logs and bamboo sticks. They ran towards the houses of the accused and started beating up the family members of the accused. They also ransacked their houses. They started pelting stones at the accused’s family members.

A large contingent of police and RAF was pressed to bring the situation control. The police resorted to lathicharge and caught some of them when they attempted flee in the interior of the village. Ganguly had left the place failing to bring the situation under control. Police pickets have been posted in the villages,

Meanwhile, three more persons, who were allegedly involved, in Monday’s incident were arrested. The total number people arrested in this case went up to four. The victim’s family members had lodged an FIR against 10 people including two women.

A police officer said they had been conducting raids at different places in search of the accused. But all the accused apart from Saila Bag had managed to flee from the area. Bag was arrested on Tuesday afternoon. Acting on a tip off police on Wednesday again raided the residences of the relatives of the accused and arrested three persons – Ram Halder, Shyam Halder and Pannalal Mondal.

They had conducted raid in the house of Mallick on Tuesday morning soon after receiving information about his involvement in the incident. But he had fled. His family members had also failed to give any information about him. Police had conducted search for the prime accused, but yet to arrest him.


Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it