Millennium Post
Nation

Court pulls up Cong, BJP on foreign funding

The Delhi high court on Monday issued notice to the Congress and BJP on a petition accusing them of accepting donations from abroad in the violation of various laws. The court had earlier issued notices to the central government and EC of India on a petition which has sought direction for a CBI or SIT probe against them for allegedly accepting donations from subsidiaries of UK-based Vedanta Group.

A division bench of justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Indermeet Kaur issued notice to both parties and fixed 19 March as next date of hearing

Accepting Additional Solicitor General Rajiv Mehra's submission that the central govt is investigating the complaint following EC's letter on the issue and a decision is yet to be taken, the bench asked the govt counsel to file an affidavit within three weeks. The court had earlier, while seeking response from the MHA and the EC, said that it will go through their replies before asking the two parties to respond.

In its response, EC stated that it had twice written to the home ministry but no response was received. 'The EC has written to the Home Ministry on 28 Sept, 2012 forwarding the complaints received that certain political parties have received foreign sources in contravention of law. The commission forwarded the complaints received together with contribution report since 2003-04, requesting the ministry to examine the matter and take such further action,’ said Ashish Chakraborty, Secretary of EC.
Next Story
Share it