Millennium Post

Cooch Behar rape victims attempt suicide; one dead, other critical

One of the two girls, who were allegedly raped by some local youths two days ago in Cooch Behar, committed suicide while the other is undergoing treatment at a hospital after she attempted to kill herself. 

Police said that the two girls were relatives and were studying in class IX at a local school at Mathabhanga in Cooch Behar. On late Sunday night, one of the victims committed suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling after the incident came into light. 

The girl took the drastic step to avoid any humiliation in the village. The other attempted suicide on Monday morning after consuming poison. She was rushed to a nearby hospital following the incident.

The incident had triggered tension in the village. Local people staged demonstration in front of the house of the accused demanding stern action against them. The accused are, however, absconding since the accident took place. Police later brought the situation under control.

Police said the two victims were accompanied by two local youths to visit puja pandals in the nearby areas. The accused have been identified as Toton Sarkar and Rudra Talukdar. 

According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that the accused might have fed the two girls some spiked food after taking them to a desolate place. When the girls were in a subconscious state the accused might have raped them. 

The victims were acquainted with the two youths as they stay in the same locality. The accused might have hatched a plan to commit the crime. Both the girls who stay in adjacent buildings returned home on Sunday night.

The incident has shaken both the victims who were mentally tormented after being subjected to the physical torture. Both the victims were so traumatized that they could not talk to their family members.

On late Sunday night, one of the victim committed suicide by hanging herself from ceiling inside her room. 

Her family members found her body hanging inside the room and informed the police who reached the spot and rushed her to a nearby hospital where she was declared brought dead.

The other girl consumed poison this morning. Local people rushed her to Mathabhanga hospital where she has been undergoing treatment. Her condition is stated to be serious.

The family members of the victims lodged complaints in the local police station against the accused on the basis of which police have started an investigation. Both the accused have fled from their house after the incident. Police are conducting raids in the area to nab the culprits.
Next Story
Share it